Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Crafty Storage Solution

I am always looking for a way to upcycle items, so when I came across an idea similar to this, I had to give it a try (with my own spin on it, of course)! Sorry, but I do not remember where the original idea came from...one of my parenting magazines, I think.
Anyway, here is what you need:
# of small cans (I used mandarin orange cans) you desire to make amount of storage containers you will need.
Electrical tape to place along the top edge of the can-you could also use duct tape
Colored duck tape (we chose the paint splatter design)
Round craft magnets-3 per can
Scissors
Hot glue gun and glue sticks (not pictured)

Place the duct tape around the can (it took two pieces to cover my cans) and carefully fold any extra tap over the bottom edge of the can.

 Using the hot glue gun, glue three magnets onto the back of the can (this part is a little tricky as you want them to lay flat against your magnetic surface-don't worry though, the hot glue can be peeled off with a little bit of work so you can try again).

These hands hold quite a bit of crafting supplies and can make for easy access for little hands when placed low on a magnetic surface. I used the side of the filing cabinet in my office area.

Anyone feeling crafty?
Couldn't you just see these filled with all sorts of crochet hooks, knitting needles, needles, pins, stitch markers...I could go on and on. They would have to be placed up a bit higher so as not to be easy access to little curious hands! Hmmm....I think I may need to go eat some mandarin oranges! 

If you have a question, please leave a comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment