Tuesday, November 29, 2011

To Upcycle is a Continuous Work in Progress...

I love up-cycling! There. I said it. No turning back now. I am a budding 'green' person....and....loving every minute of it! While I may never own a rain barrel or start my own compost pile ( the husband is not on board for either one...hmmm) I can definitely do my part by teaching little children how to reduce, reuse, and recycle (especially reuse).

So....keeping this idea in mind...I requested some recyclable, yet reusable, items to be saved and delivered to my classroom via my preschoolers and their parents. The response was great! The problem was that after requesting some items I totally drew a blank on what I had requested them for....OOPS! Well, being the good budding 'green' person I am I added those items to my craft cupboard to be used in the future (or when I remembered what they were for).

Well, I am happy to say that the recycled items were either farmed out to fellow teachers who had a need/use for them or I found/remembered a use for them, well...most of them.

So, I was left with a gallon ziploc (reused, of course, from a past project) full of milk caps! Well, what do you do with a gallon of milk caps? That is to say, BESIDES storing them in the craft cupboard? Hmmm....


Well, if you are me, or think like me anyway, you......

Play BINGO!!!!

First I used some 12"x12" card stock (enough sheets to have one board per child in my room, plus a few extras-just in case) and some different colored shape cutouts. I glued the shapes (with the help of my wonderful associates) to the card stock in three rows of three shapes.



Then, I took an additional sheet of card stock and some crayons and drew the shapes in the various colors onto the sheet to cut into small squares and use as calling cards. I took an old sugar-free flavored drink mix container and cut a slit into the lid to store/dispense the calling cards. The kids love shaking this container to get the calling cards to fall out. They do tend to fall out a few at a time, but that is okay. The kids love the game! Plus, as an added bonus, the game helps to teach them shapes and colors! I think I will do the same with other concepts in the future! Don't you just love when you can make learning LOTS of fun?!



No comments:

Post a Comment